Rutgers University undergraduates benefit enormously from the school’s proximity and ties to Wall Street whether it be via internships, networking opportunities, or frequent on-campus alumni presentations. Landing a job on the Street, however, requires intense focus from the early days of undergraduate life, as recruiting for the bulk of highly coveted summer internships begins in the spring of sophomore year and ends in the fall of junior year.
The Rutgers Road to Wall Street Program is designed to boost the industry knowledge and interview skills of a select group of approximately 50 sophomores who demonstrate a strong interest in and knowledge of the financial markets. Following the establishment of the program eight years ago, there has been substantial growth in the number of junior internship placements for Rutgers undergraduates. Rutgers New Brunswick and Newark undergraduate students with an interest in the financial markets and Wall Street careers are encouraged to apply for this outstanding program. Application details and program requirements are below.
Contact Ken Freeman with any questions or concerns.
- One-on-One Counseling: Access to counseling with the Director of the Road Wall Street program provides individual support for job selection, networking, and general interview preparation.
- Five Wall Street Seminars: Five pre-course seminars focus on the initial steps necessary to prepare for the interview process and include topics such as resume and “story” preparation, networking guidance, market knowledge, and an introduction to technical material covered in the Road to Wall Street Course in the spring semester.
- Spring Financial Modeling & Valuation Course: Cohort members will complete a mandatory three-credit spring course designed to provide the technical and market knowledge required for various roles on Wall Street. Topics for the course include financial statement analysis, equity research analysis, discounted cash flow analysis, and Excel shortcuts for financial modeling. The course also requires completion of a comprehensive equity research report that is presented to the class at the end of the term.
- Peer & Alumni Mentor Match: Alumni mentors provide instruction and contacts necessary to help students maximize their job search efforts. Mentors range from Associates to Managing Directors. Rutgers alumni provide a critical resource for Road to Wall Street participants and are often involved with the candidate selection process at RU for their respective firms. Peer mentors will be provided in the fall semester for introductory training and preparation for the alumni mentorship.
Application Details - Rising Sophomores Only
Application Details: The application must be submitted in addition to a resume, cover-letter, Division Preference Ranking Sheet, and application questions before September 26, 2018. The minimum GPA to apply is 3.3 and all majors are encouraged to apply. We will only be accepting rising sophomores as junior-year summer internship interviews will take place in spring of your sophomore year.
- Application Submission Portal Opens: August 27, 2018
- Applications Due (Deadline): September 26, 2018
- Student Selection for Program Interview Notification: October 8, 2018
- Student Program Selection Interviews: Saturday, October 13, 2018 – Location: University Career Services, Busch Campus and Interview Center
- Student Notification of RTWS Program Acceptance: October 16, 2018
- Fall Program Seminar Series (5 Fridays, 1:40-4:40 p.m.): October 19, October 26, November 2, November 9, November 16, 2018, RBS Building, Room 5073
- Financial Modeling Course (Required) – Spring Term 2019, Fridays, 1:40-4:40 p.m.