The RBS IDEA – Student Ambassador Program is a leadership program that offers RBS students an opportunity to represent and promote programs and initiatives facilitated by the RBS Office of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (RBS IDEA Office) to prospective students, families, and other groups. The IDEA Student Ambassadors are current RBS students from historically underrepresented and underserved backgrounds who participate in recruitment events and outreach activities, engage in creative and innovative projects that highlight RBS IDEA programs, and inspire prospective students to pursue a degree at Rutgers Business School.
Ambassadors also help facilitate peer-to-peer mentoring of current undergraduate and graduate students. The program offers students the opportunity to cultivate leadership skills, network with professionals, and promote service-learning/community service both on and off-campus. In addition to events and initiatives hosted by the RBS IDEA Office, ambassadors also support initiatives sponsored by the RBS Office of the Dean.
- Building Community – An appreciation for belonging and inclusiveness
Empathy / Understanding / Collaboration
- Leadership – A preemptive attitude with an ethical mindset
Thinker / Organized / Communicator
- Mentorship – A culture of sharing experiences and relationship building
Experience / Respect / Value
- Paying It Forward – An approach of giving back and doing good
Help / Service / Encouragement
Who should apply to be an RBS IDEA Student Ambassador?
- Sophomore, Junior, Senior, or Graduate students in Rutgers Business School whoidentify as a member of a historically underrepresented or underserved group
- Students who can commit to 20hrs of service per semester (40hrs/academic year)
- Students comfortable with public speaking and networking
- Students in any business major area may apply.
- Students with a 2.8 GPA or higher
- Students with previous internships and student organization experience are highly desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent RBS and the RBS IDEA Office the during recruitment events
- Meet and greet potential students, families, alumni, and special guests
- Engage with prospective business students on and off-campus
- Mentor incoming first-year and transfer students; participate in orientation and welcome events.
- Participate in various outreach events, including traveling to area high schools. (Ambassadors will need their own transportation, but the RBS IDEA Office will reimburse for mileage.)
- Corresponding with prospective students via email, phone, and social media as needed.
- Prioritize RBS IDEA Student Ambassador activities when needed and be flexible and responsive to the needs of the program.
- Provide assistance in the RBS IDEA Office as needed
- Fall Semester (September – December)
- Spring Semester (January – May)
IDEA Student Ambassadors receive a stipend of $500 at the end of each semester that they are in the program ($1,000/year).
How to Apply
Recruitment for IDEA Student Ambassadors takes place every Spring. Students must be available to serve an entire academic year beginning in the fall and through the spring. To be considered, applications must be submitted by the May 1st deadline. The application process consists of the following:
- Completed RBS IDEA Student Ambassador Application
- A Letter of Recommendation from faculty or staff member at RBS
Prospective Student Programming
To learn more about all of the offerings of the RBS IDEA Office, view the programming and initiatives for prospective students.