Academic Advising FAQ

How do I get in touch with my academic advisor?

During this time, you are strongly encouraged to contact your advisor through email (see below for your advisor’s email address). Your advisor can answer most questions you may have through email, but we also have the ability to virtually meet with you as well, either over the phone or through WebEx, if you would prefer. We would strongly recommend and encourage you to email your advisor for the quickest response time.

Contact my Advisor

What if I just have a quick or general question?

We have set up a virtual front desk should you have a quick or general question. You can access the virtual front desk by going to this link:

  1. You will be asked to download the application, which you do not need to do. At the bottom, you can just click “Join from your browser”
  2. Enter your name and Rutgers email address
  3. Click join meeting

The virtual front desk is open/available Monday - Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and then again from 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Are University classes still in session?

Yes, classes are still being held, but all class meetings are being held virtually. There are no in-person classes currently being held. Students and faculty can access all of their classes remotely via Blackboard or Canvas.

When should I receive information about my class being moved online?

You should have already received notification from your professor about your class moving online. If you have not received an update, please contact your professor directly.

How will classes being moved online through at least the Spring 2020 semester impact my ability to graduate?

Please know that remote instruction will not impact your ability to graduate. Classes are being moved online in order to help you continue to make progress toward completing your requirements and graduating.

Will attendance requirements be the same online?

Students will be expected to adhere to and comply with the attendance requirements outlined by the professor. If you are uncertain about the expectations, please consult with your professor.

Can I come to campus to use school resources or to study? What campus services currently remain open?

The Rutgers-Newark campus is operating virtually, providing all services to students remotely. Students are strongly encouraged to follow the recommendations from health professionals and stay home at this time.

If a student does wish to come to campus, please review the COVID-19 Operating Status website to see which facilities or resources are accessible to you:

What if I don’t have internet at my house?

Students who do not have internet access can explore various temporary solutions. Some companies may be offering temporary aid for those affected by the Coronavirus.
Rutgers University is aware of the following services, but cannot recommend or endorse any specific service. To learn more about options that we have been made aware of, please visit the Information Services website:  
Please know that while Rutgers University is aware of the services listed, the University cannot recommend or endorse any specific provider. Please be sure to read the user agreement carefully, especially in regards to the cancellation process and potential fees.
Students are also encouraged to refer to Rutgers University Information Technology's tips for getting online during the COVID-19 period, including providers who are offering free or discounted internet and increased data allowances. If you have internet at home, review the tips for improving connection problems:

What if I don’t have a laptop or computer access at home?

Newark Computer Labs:
All Rutgers-Newark IT supported computer labs were closed as of Thursday, March 12, 2020. Please contact you professor to revisit any available options.

How will students with learning disabilities be accommodated during online distance learning?

Please contact the Rutgers University Office of Disability Services (ODS) for assistance.

Please know, the ODS staff is working remotely until further notice. But you can reach the staff via email ( or by phone (973-353-5375).

What should I do if I want to withdraw from one or more courses this semester?

The deadline to withdraw from one or more classes for the Spring 2020 semester with a “W” is April 10, 2020.

The deadline to withdraw from all of your classes for the Spring 2020 semester with a “W” for all courses is April 20, 2020.

Please email your academic advisor to complete the appropriate paperwork.

Is there a Pass/No Credit option for my Spring 2020 courses?

Yes, students do have the option of electing to take one or more of their courses as Pass/Fail. To read more about this option, and to complete the paperwork to request to take a course Pass/Fail, please go here:

All students are strongly encouraged to speak with their academic advisor if they are considering the Pass/Fail option.

How long will courses be offered online only?

All courses will remain online until the end of the Spring 2020 Semester. Any updates, including for Summer 2020, will be announced via email to students and also on this website.

How will time zone differences be handled?

You should follow the standard course time frame: Eastern Standard Time. If you know you will be in a time zone that will make the regular class time difficult for you to attend, we advise you let the faculty and teaching staff know as soon as possible.

Will Summer 2020 classes be held online?

As of now, a decision has not been made regarding Summer 2020 course instruction. Any updates will be announced via email to students and posted on this website.

I am in need of financial assistance due to COVID-19. Is there help?

An Emergency Fund has been established to provide direct financial support to students urgently in need of assistance to continue their studies as they grapple with the impact that COVID-19 has had on their lives. All who are interested and have the capacity to donate may give here: Rutgers-Newark Student Emergency Fund.

Where can I stay up-to-date on the impact of COVID-19 on Rutgers University?

Rutgers University has created a webpage dedicated entirely to news and updates regarding COVID-19 and how it relates to the University. We would encourage you to check this page frequently for news and updates: